Connect with us

Northeast Devastation: NGOs Spend 80% of Rehabilitation Funds on Themselve- Sen. Ali Ndume

 

 

 

 

The Senator representing Borno south district in the Nigerian Senate, Ali Ndume, has accused international Nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) working in the insurgency ravaged Northeast region of Nigeria of spending monies meant to ameliorate the plight of the internally displaced persons in the region on themselves.

Senator Ndume made the accusation in Abuja while briefing journalists after his motion on the “the dire state of humanitarian crises in Nigeria especially Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY) States” was debated on the Floor of the senate on Thursday.

Senator Ndume alleged that the International NGOs operating in the Northeast Spend barely spend 20% of the funds earmarked for helping the displaced persons in the region on the IDPs while the remaining 80% goes to service the NGOs and their staff leaving the IDPs worse off and hopeless.

“The most worrisome is that they spend 80% of that money on themselves. If you go now to Maidugiri Airport you will find six or more Helicopters. These Helicopters move the foreigners and NGO workers to places, so they spend 80% of that money on themselves and 20% on us the internally displaced or affected persons.

“They will buy an armoured Toyota Land cruiser of about N100 million and then take a trailer of rice to Gwoza, and the cost of one trailer of rice is about N10million. This is just a typical example of what goes on there,” senator Ndume said.

According to Senator Ndume the situation persists in the Northeast because the government of Nigeria has not come out with a clear strategy on how the operations of the NGOs can benefit the victims of the insurgency and save the Northeast, his words:

“It is the Nigerian government that is allowing them to do that because there is no synergy between the federal government, the state and these NGOs, they [NGOs] do what they want maybe because the money comes from them.”

Senator Ndume however, commended the Nigerian security forces for curtailing the insurgents. He said that indeed, the Boko Haram insurgents have been largely defeated as they now operate on the fringes of Sambisa forest and the Lake Chad basin.

He said that the N55billion the federal government budgeted for the rehabilitation of the region is just a drop of water in the ocean as it has been estimated that the cost of the devastation in the region by the insurgents is put conservatively at over 3trillion naira. This according to him will take over 60years to rebuild the region based on the N55billion naira budget.