President Muhammadu Buhari has described the defection of Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi state from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) as a “bold move driven purely by principle rather than opportunistic motives.”
President Buhari in a welcome message issued by his Senior Special Adviser on Media, Garba Shehu, expressed his happiness on the defection of the Governor whom he said took the decision based on Umahi’s quest for good governance.
“I am proud of Governor David Umahi for taking this bold decision in accordance with his conscience and principles rather than any external influence or coercion.”
“Good governance is very important to us in the APC, and I’m glad that the governor has cited this as a major factor in his decision to join us. I urge our citizens to pay less emphasis on identity politics if we want our democracy to make a positive impact on our country.”
“With men like Umahi, I foresee a brighter future for our democracy because the voters will be more motivated by performance records of parties and their candidates.”
“Let me once again; commend the boldness of Governor Umahi for taking this courageous decision in a country where principles are in short supply among many. I know people might call him names, but that is the price men of principles have to pay for acting according to their conscience and convictions,” the President concluded.
Meanwhile, the Leadership of the APC has appointed a 15-man Caretaker Committee for the party in Ebonyi state.
According t a media statement issued by the Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the party, Yekini Nabena on behalf of the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC), Mr. Stanley Okoro, the Ebonyi State Commissioner for Internal Security was appointed the Chairman of the party.
The new Caretaker State Working Committee is saddled with the responsibility of driving the party’s “planned membership registration, update, and revalidation exercise in Ebonyi State.”
The full list of the 15-man Caretaker Committee are:
- Stanley Okoro – Chairman
- John Nwankata – Vice Chairman (North)
- Peter Nworie Ndubuisi – Vice Chairman (Central)
- Ozoemena Njoku – Vice Chairman (South)
- Charles Ofoke – Secretary
- Engr. Ogbonnaya Igboke – Organising Secretary
- Chidi Ogbuatu – Publicity Secretary
- Barr. Ikaa, Ikaa Ukeni – Legal Adviser
- Chief Paulinus Ali (Zomo) – Treasurer
- Chief Joseph Ozibo – Financial Secretary
- Ogochukwu David Elem – Youth Leader
- Odo Oluchi Juliet – Women Leader
- Ogbonna David Nshii – Auditor
- Adum Uchenna Basil –Physically Challenged
- Francis Obike Nweze – Welfare Secretary